As the cooler temperatures and changing colors of fall arrive, keep your pet safe and happy with these tips from West Greenwich veterinary professional.
Pesticides and Rodenticides
As the weather cools, various insect pests and outdoor rodents like rats or mice often seek warmth inside our homes. The answer for many homeowners is a rodenticide or pesticide product, poisons designed to kill the pests. Unfortunately, these poisons are also hazardous to our own pets! If you do use these products, put them in areas where your pet can’t get to them, and monitor your pet carefully to make sure he doesn’t ingest any.
Veterinarians often see an increase in snakebites during the fall. This is because snakes are preparing themselves for their winter hibernation, and are therefore more on edge and aggressive than usual. Ask your vet about snakes that may live in your area, especially those of the venomous variety. Keep your pet out of wooded areas where snakes may reside, and call your West Greenwich veterinarian’s office immediately if your pet is bitten.
While the vast majority of outdoor mushrooms have no toxicity, there are some that are indeed poisonous when ingested. The poisonous ones don’t look much different than the non-toxic ones, so it’s best to keep your pet away from any area where mushrooms are growing. Monitor your pet while he plays in the yard, and call your vet if you see your pet swallow a mushroom.
Since the cold months of winter are coming, many pet owners choose to change their car’s engine coolant in the fall. Antifreeze contains a lethal ingredient called ethylene glycol, which causes vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, or even coma and death if pets ingest too much. Keep your pet inside when you’re putting antifreeze in your car, and clean up spills immediately. Store the chemical safely where your pet can’t reach it. Have your vet’s number on hand to call right away in the event of accidental ingestion.